If you are looking for a light Christmas Cake that is quick and easy to prepare, then this is the cake for you. This is a traditional French Christmas Cake, covered in chocolate butter icing. You could decorate with some holly or icing sugar for a more festive finish.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 0 people
Add all ingredients Select All
50 g Cocoa Powder
100 g SuperValu Butter
200 g SuperValu Icing Sugar
2 tbsp Chocolate Spread
250 g Mascarpone Cheese
125 g SuperValu Cream
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
150 g Caster Sugar
50 g Dark Chocolate
4 - Fresh Egg
100 g Self-Raising Flour
30 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
1 tsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Brush a 25 x 30cm baking tray or swiss roll pan with a little oil or melted butter.
- Line the base and sides with some parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half filled with water (ensuring the water does not touch the base of the bowl).
- Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy.
- Stir the water and bicarbonate soda into the melted chocolate.
- Sift the flour into the eggs and stir in the ground almonds.
- Pour in the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Place a layer of parchment paper larger than the baking tray onto a flat surface.
- Invert the cake onto the parchment paper and trim any crispy edges.
- Starting with the long side closest to you, and using the paper to help, roll up the cake.
- Place seam side down on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the filling lightly whip the cream in a bowl, then add the mascarpone cream and chocolate spread and beat until smooth.
- Unroll the cake and spread with the cream mixture then roll up again.
- Prepare the butter icing by placing the ingredients in a bowl and whisking with an electric whisk until smooth.
- It should be a lovely light brown colour.
- Using a palate knife or piping bag, spread the butter icing over the cake and top with some chocolate shavings.
- Place in the fridge until required.