If cakes and pudding aren’t your thing, then why not give our profiterole Christmas tree a go? It’s much easier than it looks to make and your guests will be very impressed!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 8 people
Add all ingredients Select All
4 - Fresh Egg
125 ml Milk
275 g Plain Flour
112 g SuperValu Butter
1 litre SuperValu Cream
1 tsp SuperValu Salt
15 g SuperValu Sugar
125 ml Water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Pour the water and milk into a saucepan and add the butter.
- Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and immediately add the flour.
- Place the saucepan over a low heat and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the side of the saucepan and forms a smooth ball (approximately 5 minutes).
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly then add the eggs one at a time beating thoroughly after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Allow to cool.
- Fill a piping bag with a large nozzle with the cooled mixture and pipe walnut sized pieces onto parchment lined baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for 30–45mins (profiteroles are cooked when they are golden brown and have no moisture in them).
- Place a hole in each profiterole using a skewer (to release steam) and scoop out any moist mixture or your profiteroles will collapse, you’ll use this hole to pipe the cream in once the profiteroles are completely cooled.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Fill a piping bag with whipped cream and pipe cream into your profiteroles.
- To melt the chocolate: Place the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering hot water.
- Once melted remove the pan from the heat but allow the bowl to remain over the hot water as the chocolate needs to be melted as you build your tree.
- Dip each profiterole into melted chocolate and begin building your ‘tree’ on your serving plate, starting by building your base and working up from there.
- If your kitchen is warm, you may find it helpful to place in the fridge at regular intervals to help each layer set.
- Finish by pouring over the melted chocolate. Decorate with simple star shaped biscuits for a truly impressive dessert.