This is a very tasty way of cooking and serving chicken!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 - Carrots
1 - SuperValu Fresh Irish Chicken
1 medium SuperValu Onion
4 - SuperValu Potatoes
cut into chunks
150 g Supervalu Smoked Bacon Lardons
- Heat a large sauté pan with a little oil and brown the chicken off all over.
- This may seem a little awkward to do but just use a kitchen tongs to assist you turning the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a large casserole dish or roasting tray.
- Peel and chop the onion and carrots into uniform pieces.
- In the sauté pan add the smoked bacon lardons and allow to cook for 1 – 2 minutes, then add the chopped carrots and onion.
- Cook for a couple of minutes until they are nicely glazed.
- Add in the thyme and the chicken stock at this stage, season lightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Once the mixture comes to the boil, pour it over the whole chicken and cover tightly in tin foil.
- Pop the casserole dish into the pre heated oven for approximately 1 hour and then remove the tin foil and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Place in a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes until softened, strain off any excess water.
- Add in the butter and season lightly, then mash using a potato masher.
- Serve the chicken sliced with the roasted vegetables, some mashed potatoes and a little of the cooking juices.