This is a delicious and simple way to cook chicken on the barbecue.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - SuperValu Lime
1 kg SuperValu Quality Irish large chicken
From the Store Cupboard
0 pinch Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Curry Powder
2 cloves SuperValu Garlic
5 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
0 - SuperValu Salt
- Ask your butcher to spatchcock your chicken for you - basically this is where the entire chicken is opened out for ease of cooking.
- Lay the chicken out flat on a chopping board. In a small mixing bowl combine the curry powder, olive oil, chilli powder, chopped garlic and lime zest.
- Mix well and then spread this mixture over the entire chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a large bowl and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, but ideally longer if time allows.
- Place the chicken, skin side down on a pre-heated barbecue. Cook for 7-10 minutes each side on the hottest part of the barbecue and then transfer to the outer side where it can cook over a more gentle heat for a further 30-40 minutes.
- Cover the barbecue with a lid during this time. If the chicken is a little big or the barbecue too hot, I like to transfer the chicken to the oven, or place it on a baking tray on the barbecue and cover with a lid. Cooking time will depend largely on your barbecue.
- Ensure that the chicken is fully cooked – juices should run clear and the flesh should come away easily from the bone.
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Strain the rice into a large colander and leave it under running water until the rice has completely cooled down.
- Mix together the chilli powder, lime juice and the olive oil.
- Add the tomato, carrot and green pepper to the rice, pour in the flavoured oil and mix well.
- Season to taste and serve immediately.