Christmas just wouldn’t be Christmas without mince pies. I’ll show you how to make your own mincemeat filling, but if you prefer you can always use a jar of ready-made mincemeat.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
175 g Currants
5 tbsp Irish Whiskey
110 g Mixed Peel
300 g Raisins
200 g Shredded Suet
175 g Sultanas
250 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
2 large SuperValu Cooking Apple
1 - SuperValu Lemon
zest and juice
1 - SuperValu Orange
zest and juice
1 - Fresh Egg
lightly beaten, to glaze
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and flour and bring the mixture together.
- Wrap in cling film and allow to rest.
- Place mincemeat ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well. Cover with a dry cloth and leave overnight to let flavours mature.
- The next day preheat the oven to 120°C/240°F/Gas mark ½
- Place the fruit mixture into a deep baking tray and cover tightly with tinfoil and place in the oven. Cook in the oven for approximately 2 hours, stirring occasionally until all of the suet has dissolved. Transfer to sterile jars and use as required.
To make your Mince Pies
- Preheat the oven to180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 12-cup bun tray. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry into a large piece. Using a round biscuit cutter cut 12 pastry discs and use these to line the bun tray.
- Using a star-shaped biscuit cutter cut out 12 pastry stars for the top of the pies.
- ¾ fill pastry-lined tins with mincemeat and place pastry star on top. Brush lightly with a beaten egg and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.