This is a most interesting and elaborate dessert and it works really well for a dinner party or festive treat.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 dstspn Black Treacle
1 tsp Cloves
4 large Fresh Egg
2 dstspn Irish Whiskey
300 ml Milk
350 g Plain Flour
350 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
225 g SuperValu Butter
2 tsp SuperValu Cinnamon
4 tsp SuperValu Fresh Ginger
- Grease and line two 8 inch round cake tins.
- Meanwhile sieve the flour, baking powder and spices together.
- Melt the butter and add the melted butter to the eggs, treacle and brown sugar and the milk.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg and treacle mixture and mix until a smooth batter has been achieved.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and transfer to the oven
- Bake for 45-55 minutes at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- When the cakes are cool split each cake into three equal pieces.
To make butter icing
- Add the softened butter and icing sugar to the machine and beat until light and fluffy.
- You should leave this to beat for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the orange zest and juice and mix well to ensure it is sufficiently incorporated.
- Spread some of the orange butter cream onto each layer of the ginger sponges and stack on top of each other.
- Pipe some of the orange butter cream on the top and decorate with some crystallised ginger and crystallised orange zest.