This makes a lovely treat for mum on mother’s day. It lasts a couple of days as well which makes it even better.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 tbsp Apricot Jam
1 tsp Baking Powder
225 g Caster Sugar
150 g Dark Chocolate
melted (Or 2 heaped dessertspoons cocoa powder)
4 - Fresh Egg
225 g Plain Flour
225 g SuperValu Butter
- Grease a 9 inch deep round tin. If you wish you can put a disc of parchment on the bottom of the tin if you are nervous about them coming out of the tin.
- Preheat oven to 180C/375F/Gas Mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. This should take 5-6 minutes. Add in the eggs and mix completely.
- Next sieve the plain flour with the baking powder (You could use self raising flour instead of these two ingredients if you would prefer.)Add the flour into the mixing bowl with the butter and eggs and mix until completely smooth.
- Meanwhile either in the microwave or over a saucepan of boiling water melt the chocolate and add to the sponge mixture.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. When baked transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Put the cream into a small saucepan and bring to a rapid boil. Pour the boiled cream onto the chopped chocolate and mix well. This is now ready to use.
- Using a sharp knife horizontally split the cakes in three equal pieces.
- Sandwich these cakes together with some apricot jam and a little of the chocolate ganache. Roughly spread the remainder of the ganache on the top.
- Garnish with fresh fruit and serve or alternatively you can use a little melted white chocolate to drizzle or write on the top.