Great festive fun can be had making these gingerbread men and what’s really good is that the pastry will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 tsp Baking Powder
175 g Black Treacle
1 - Fresh Egg
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Cloves
2 tsp Ground Ginger
600 g Plain Flour
175 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
175 g SuperValu Butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the sugar, treacle and spices into a small saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add in the butter. Cool slightly and then add in the beaten egg.
- Stir in the sifted flour and baking powder and combine.
- Wrap and rest in the fridge for a couple of hours but preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to make the gingerbread men take out the pastry and leave it for 10-15 minutes to come back to room temperature.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll out the pastry to a thickness of approximately ¼ inch. Cut out shapes using your gingerbread men cutter and place onto a greased baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes
- Decorate with tiny sweets, sugar strands or chocolate drops (use royal icing as an adhesive!)